Friday, June 5, 2009

Remembering Damulog

A Post from a Damulognon who Misses Home


While I was googling around last Tuesday, I stumble upon a post on the comment section of Bobby Timonera's Pbase gallery page. It's from a person who named himself "Onyok". The piece was dated November 21, 2008 and read:

"There is this undying attachment to the place I still call home (minus our house) that keeps me looking back at Damulog. This feeling keeps me stuck as if time has paused and the endlessly cascading frames of my growing up years all majestically frozen. Wow! It seems I have not moved on really. But who else can?

I liken myself to a car. Some of my major parts/components were manufactured in Damulog. Indeed, because I spent my formative years there under my doting Lola and my loving mother, my liberal father and disciplinarian grandfather. I had my first official girlfriend while in first year high in Xavier, and the second, third, fourth, fifth, and so on. Actually, I had this childhood sweet-part-sour heart, with whom I fell in love with during senior year at Xavier. But the one who really broke my heart was this girl from Sampagar. I believe it Mr. Cupid hit me right there but then in hindsight, I thought we were not meant for each other. She is now married, so am I. I hope she is happy, because I'm trying to be.

Why am I telling all these?

Memories, memories, and more memories.

I love this place like I love my folks and my grandfolks. It has given me so much wonderful memories not only to cherish and treasure but to see me through moments of despair and discouragement. All my loved ones are buried in the fertile soil of Damulog, and that makes me want to return to you, my dear place. Not for now, not yet. Nor I promise when, because in memory I keep returning to you already.

Allow me to invite like-minded Damulognons then to partake in this feast of memories about our beloved place.

Keep on posting. Wherever you are in this small planet, care to do something small and start paying tribute to the place called Damulog. Share your thoughts, passions, dreams, and hopes, as well as despairs, failures, and successes."


Well, I could not say more but I surely feels the same way whenever I'm away from home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment